Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

National Technophobe Day

I don't know if there is such a thing, but I celebrated it yesterday. (I'm greatly condensing this story because I won't have time to type it all, not because you won't appreciate my wit. Incidentally, one of my coworkers (the housekeeping supervisor, whom I'm thinking of nicknaming Miss Kitty) said yesterday, to the newest employee, that my "sense of humor is very dry". Froggy chimed in, "Dusty.")

The company web page I check daily for my employees timecard swipes from the previous day said that every single one of my employees didn't show up to work on Monday, didn't clock in, didn't go to lunch, and didn't clock out -- but the maintenance and housekeeping crews did. They're in different buildings, so they use different timeclocks.

The company web page I needed to put through the request to get my employee his three-month probationary raise was down.

I brought up my issues at our daily managers meeting, and the best suggestion they (who are even less computer literate than I) could come up with was to wait until today and look again -- oh, and put in a help desk request for computer support to check the phone line, since our leaky building has done this before, so maybe the data transfer didn't happen because the phone line was wet again (thanks both to melting snow from the weekend and rain overnight).

I submitted the help request then went back to the timesheet web page to review past weeks and verify I had logged all my employee's absences properly. At this point, all of Monday's time appeared correct after all, but it was Tuesday's times with the little red stop signs that indicate errors. The computer claimed now that my employees did work on Monday after all but that they had clocked in Tuesday but didn't take lunch nor go home. This is highly unusual because, the way the system is set up, it's not possible to view the current day's timecard swipes. Oh, fugeddaboutit. I'll just wait until (today) to check again. (I'll keep you posted.)

Incidentally, the computer geek checked the phone line and pronounced it problem-free. Beats the heck out of me. I'm a technophobe, remember?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home