Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Every day with him must be "Opposite Day".

For a while, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. I figured he was using Noog Logic and I just didn't understand him. Now I suspect that he's just wrong.

First off, they call him "coach", even though he's just the weight training dude. (For that matter, the "trainer" doesn't train the athletes; he tends their injuries.)

Second, nothing he says makes sense. As I walked my laps one day, I heard him talking about a magazine (he might have used the word "journal", but I have issues with what he described, so I'm not entirely sure a refereed, scientific journal would have printed it) article he had read about weight training research in Russia. The dude said that Russian researchers documented that starting boys in weight training before puberty was not harmful; indeed the boys ended up 1.5" taller than their fathers. I was seven inches taller than my father, and I eschewed physical activity as much as possible when I was growing up, so what does that say for the research? Moreover, he said the same article found that the boys were easier to train as they aged. Well, duh! Plus (and this is where I have another doubt about the scientificness of the article), that's a second variable, and good research tests just one variable at a time.

Speaking of him not making sense, when he isn't training the football players who aren't there twice a day all summer (high school sports in TN are regulated like college sports, so if they aren't authorized to practice during the summer, I must not have seen them in the stadium nor the weight room every weekday), they do the opposite of what he says. When they were running back and forth on the field, he kept yelling, "Push! Push! Push!" (Since they were neither pushing nor pulling, I figure he must have been training them to become obstetricians.) Yesterday in the weight room, he yelled (no, he doesn't always yell, but it sure seems like it), "I want everybody on this side." The boys promptly scattered throughout the room. Later, "Everybody, listen up!" was barely audible over the rap and heavy metal music he blasts in the weight room, so it's no wonder the boys kept exercising (a key component of which seems to be picking up barbells and immediately dropping them on the floor).

2 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, July 27, 2010 , Blogger Betty said...

It says nothing one way or another. The question is whether there was a statistically significant difference between a group that received the training and a control group that didn't. (You may be pretty tall, but you are not, by yourself, big enough to be a control group.)

 
At 5:25 PM, July 27, 2010 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

In that case, I must be out of control. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home