Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, July 16, 2010

What do you mean?

As I brushed my teeth this morning, I pondered the title of yesterday's post. It was an allusion to The Wizard of Oz -- the movie version, at least. I haven't actually read the book. The only one in the series which I have read is, I think, Tik-Tok of Oz. (Lord knows how my mother bought her sons just one of the books and not all of them.)

Then, for some reason, I tried to figure out if L. Frank Baum (or the scriptwriter, if it wasn't in the book) meant something by telling us (viewers, readers, or just plain children) to "ignore the man behind the curtain" and focus on the grand and glorious illusions. Maybe it was just irony -- or even intentional humor, since it's obvious to most kids that the man was creating the illusions.

Then I realized how dangerously close I was to breaking my own rule about not offering symbolism or imagery (of which, as I have alluded to before, I have a particular dislike -- not quite hatred -- thanks to one horrific year in high school English class). However, I found a loophole, so I'm not a sinner. The Oz books were intended for children. Children's stories often have lessons or morals included. Therefore, I'm looking for meaning, which is entirely different from symbolism and imagery. (Because I said so; that's why.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home