Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I'm afraid of what would happen if I ate one of those carrots.

Last night, Thing One and I explored the new Costco in Ft. O. I discovered that there are a few differences between this one and the one in ABQ. For example, I could buy corn muffins and vanilla chocolate chunk muffins here but not in ABQ. The biggest shocker (and disappointment, since I wanted to stock up for my upcoming party) was the liquor section. To be precise, the non-liquor section. There was a vast selection of wines but extremely few beers and no liquor. It looks like I even have to keep buying my favorite beer at supermarket prices (unless, of course, the mondo beer store sells 12-packs, too). Darn the South, for being so alcohol-restrictive!

Since it was a new store, we played tourist and moseyed along each aisle. It was entertaining to see the things people will buy, the packaging for items, or the brand names. Are you familiar with the popular restaurant style that hangs fake antiquey stuff on the walls (and ceilings) in the hopes that worrying if that banged-up tuba above your head got so banged up by falling on previous customers will distract you from the menu prices? Well, those restaurants often include placards from old (or old-looking) produce brands. Last night, I found a good one to add: Organic Bunny-Luv carrots.

The store also had bags of what looked like red chiles but were labeled "sweet peppers". Mild I could understand, but sweet? Add in the fact that they were greenhouse-grown in Ontario, and you can understand why Thing One and I were all but screaming, "Run away! Run away!"

Of course, that could explain part of the dream I had this morning. I dreamt I was looking at a package of water balloons, some of which had a trickle of water in them, to give them some shape and to give the package some heft. Some of the skinny red ones looked like red chiles, and the off-color green ones were, indeed, like green chiles (the color of canned chile, not fresh). Then I stepped up behind some people to enter a restaurant, but it wasn't really to eat; we were extras providing background in a movie. A guy who looked like a dirty New Mexican (you might think I'm stereotyping, but if you've ever been in New Mexico long enough, you know exactly the type of person to whom I'm referring) was supposed to get into line, see that he recognized the couple in front of me, and hug the woman -- except I had gotten in between them. She told him to hug someone inside the restaurant instead, which I thought was kind of stupid, since his arms were already outstretched to hug her, and I hoped my body was blocking this awkward exhange from view of the camera. In the meantime, I was looking forward to seeing what the actor portraying the suspicious guy over there would do... Then my alarm clock went off.

Before I forget, here's the last of my favorite songs that I can think of for the time being.



Between the dreams I've shared with you and the songs I've described as my favorites, I wonder what impression of me that leaves with you.

1 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, February 16, 2011 , Blogger Geosomin said...

You have liquor at Costco? That would be so cool...and don't be dissing canadian sweet peppers. They're not at all for spicy recipes but damn tasty roasted up in hummous or with chicken. Mmm...

The fried pickles scare me.
Pickle on a stick, I get...but deep fried? Not so much. Seems like a waste of perfectly good frying batter...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home