Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

What's right with me?

Yesterday, I got a bit miffed about how unfair something was here at work. It got me pondering: Why do I have such a strong sense of fair play contrasted with other people? I posed the question to Robomarkov (our discussion follows), and it makes me wish I had more readers because we could get into a really interesting discussion if I did.

CC: I came up with something to ponder this morning. What did my parents do in my upbringing that resulted in me having such a strong desire for fairness and equality? Well, not so strong as to lead in another march on Selma or something. Maybe a "sense" for fairness more than "desire".
RM: The sense of fairness is innate. Even small children understand this. It is only when we are adults do we "retrain" ourselves or justify cheating.
CC: Well, there's a lot of that (retraining, not necessarily cheating) going on on campus. Then the modified question would be why I stay "lawful good" while other people change.
RM: Yes. I have the same issue. Mostly on my commute to/from work. Why do I have to follow the driving rules and others seem to ignore them.
CC: Boy, howdy, ain't that the truth!


All right, so we diverted from the idea at hand, but you get the gist of my question. So, what do you think?

3 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Betty said...

Personality is a weird, complicated thing that comes partly from your environment and partly from your genes.

In other words, who knows?

 
At 3:42 PM, March 03, 2011 , Blogger Geosomin said...

I"ve noticed it too. There are a lot of things at work in the shared labs where I get infuriated at people making up their own rules. I continue on as good and honest and fair while they all screw everyone over. Drives me nuts...but I can't NOT do it.
I suppose that's, to me, a real show of character. To me it's what you do when noone's looking that matters the most. :)

 
At 5:08 AM, March 04, 2011 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

But if I did it when someone was looking, it would be all over the internet! Oh, wait. You meant something else. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home