Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, February 18, 2011

There's a warm wind blowing, the stars are out, and I'd really love to see you toni... this morning.

That song has been stuck in my head a few days, probably because the weather has been so nice. It got me thinking about the phrase, "It's an ill wind that blows no good," and I think I got my first clue into the difference between "that" and "which".

What is it? It is an ill wind that blows no good.

What kind of wind blows no good? It is an ill wind which blows no good.

Of course, I could always look in various style manuals to see what they say, but that would be the easy way out.

And since I'm on the subject of songs and slight differences, I'll add one to my list of favorites. The version with English lyrics is commonly known as "Never on Sunday". The instrumental version (which we played in high school marching band, sans bouzoukis) is "Russian Gypsy Dance". However, why provide a video for either of those, when The Muppets have one?

1 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, February 18, 2011 , Blogger Betty said...

I think it's still "it's an ill wind that blows no good." I believe that, technically, you're only supposed to use "which" in a clause that could be eliminated from the sentence without changing its basic meaning or making it into a non-sentence. Example: "An ill wind, which is my least favorite kind of wind, blows no good." As opposed to "A wind that is ill blows no good."

I think.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home