Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

How Dry I Am

I have been edified in my quest for alcohol. First off, alcohol can not be purchased before 12 noon on Sundays. (This restriction is not limited to the South, though.) Second, in Tennessee, beer may be sold in grocery stores, but not wine. (You have to buy the grapes and make it yourself.) This leads to third, in Georgia, grocery stores may sell wine. This is why Costco set itself up in Ft. O., rather than The Noog. (It doesn't explain their pitiful beer selection, though.) Fourth, in the South (Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama, among others), liquor may be sold only at liquor stores (which may also sell wine and beer). So, if you're coming to visit, you'd better let me know in advance what your preferences are, so I'll know where to take you.

At the liquor store I discovered last night, I picked up small bottles of gin, vodka, rum, and American whisky for my upcoming party. (I thought that big bottles would be a waste, since I drink little and infrequently -- and I didn't have enough cash in my pocket for regular size bottles of each.) They stock Robomarkov's favorite vodka (which I can't link to, because I can't spell it) and an Irish whiskey (or did I mix up the appropriate spellings of whisky/whiskey for each country?) which my friend Gimpy recently learned was "potent". I didn't purchase either of them (I'll go back later, with more money), but I mused that, as expensive as I think the bottles were (you think that's bad, just wait until you pay for the alcohol inside them!), given how long one bottle of booze could last me, I'd definitely be getting my money's worth.

2 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, March 03, 2011 , Blogger Geosomin said...

I get big ones...then they're always around. Last forever too :)

Plus then if people show up and ask for drinks I can be all suave and say "so what would you like?" and not just have hommemade wine!

 
At 5:12 AM, March 04, 2011 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

I do have a booze cart of big bottles (and a lot more variety) in my condo in NM, but since I moved here with little cargo space, non-essentials like that were left behind. My party was the first time I'd invited anyone to my apartment, and I'm generally antisocial, but since I "broke the seal", maybe I ought to prepare, just in case.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home