Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, October 19, 2012

What's a conscientious recycler to do?

Are you familiar with "flats", those plastic trays which hold the flowering plants you buy at the nursery?  How about the "cell packs" or pots they come in?  What do you do with them after you're finished planting?

You can't exactly throw them away.  They're useful, after all; maybe you'll need them again some day.  You can't throw out plastic; it can be recycled.  Maybe the nursery will wash and reuse them.

Does any of that sound familiar?

Here in the Noog, nurseries won't accept them back.  (One of them claimed it was a state law which prohibited them from doing so.)  The "big box" hardware stores won't take them, either.  One of them said, if I live in the Noog, I can leave them out for curbside recycling, which accepts plastics #1 through 7.  That would be nice, but for I live in an apartment, so I'm not eligible for curbside pickup.  And, wouldn't you know it, but the drop-off recycling centers accept only #1 and #2 (plastics, that is).

So, those things still sit on my porch.  I don't want to move them with me... but they don't take up all that much room, do they?

This is what comes of being unable to throw things away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home