Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Funny Money

I got my first paycheck today, but there were problems with it.  The dollar amount was what it was supposed to be, but there were other things included -- or not included -- in the statement.

First off, I didn't see any withholding for Oklahoma state income taxes.  The office manager said that OK doesn't have income taxes.  What I've seen online, though (from the Oklahoma Tax Commission itself) is that they do.  (I included this question in my e-mail to our H.R. rep.)

Second, under my vacation and sick leave, it lists my eligible time in accrued hours, not as eligible days, and says I'm a non-exempt employee.  (This was the first question for our H.R. rep., as the office manager said someone above her level must have made a mistake.)

As of lunchtime, the H.R. rep. hadn't responded, so I took my check as it was (the dollar amount was okay, after all) and opened my local checking account.  Tomorrow, I'll try to submit my direct deposit authorization.  That is, if I can get into the payroll system and verify my address and phone number first.

Incidentally, while I was providing my information to donate blood at work today, the computer locked up completely.  I said it was my fault and explained that I might be a wizard, since I make computers go all wonky.  At the bank, the teller's computer was running slowly, and he kept apologizing, but I didn't bother explaining to him.

Come to think of it, the next time someone asks why I'm reluctant to use technology, it probably would sound better if I said I was a wizard, and not just old-fashioned.  At the very least I'll sound interesting instead of pathetic.

[Side note to Betty:   I can do wibbly-wobbly, apparently, but I have just one heart, so I probably can't handle timey-wimey.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home