Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

My friend Gimpy gave me suggestions for my tech. problems, so I ventured to a "big box" store last night.

The store website said that Gimpy's computer recommendation wasn't in stock but could be ordered.  He suggested a second computer, but the website said that one couldn't even be ordered.  At the store, I approached the customer service desk to order the first computer Gimpy recommended.  After some rigamarole about setting up an account for me then discovering that I already have an account (but with my Noog address and phone number), the clerk discovered that that machine couldn't be ordered, either.  (So, then, why does the store include items on its website that aren't available in-store or online?)

Customer service then directed me to a young assistant in the computer department.  I showed him the printout of the machine Gimpy recommended, and the young man asked if I wanted to use the machine for things I'd never heard of or "for gaming".  Well, I know enough to realize that I'm not a gamer, so I explained that I play old games on it and surf the web.  "Like Tetris?  I love Tetris."  (Hey, if he's heard of Tetris, he understands exactly what I mean by "old games".)  He showed me two in-stock computers very similar to each other and close to Gimpy's suggestions.  I wrote down the product information and will send it to Gimpy, along with a request for backup-backup suggestions.  (Speaking of "backup-backup", the saga of no truck for me to use at work is no closer to ending.)

Gimpy also recommended a particular brand and model of external hard drive, so I can back up my files more easily than burning CD's.  The store's website said it was in stock in that particular store (not, alas, the one just three blocks from my apartment).  The item on the shelf (which I managed to find without assistance) was the right brand, offered the same features, and was the same price, but it lacked one word in the product name, and both the model number and SKU number differed from the one Gimpy recommended.  Still, I bought it, figuring that, if it's the wrong one, I can return it unopened -- plus yesterday was the last day of the sale.

I then went to the mobile phone department to see if they could advise me about my phone's battery.  (The past few weeks, it runs down on charge in a day, even if it's not used.  I wanted to see if it's because the phone is about a year old, or if the battery should last longer than that.)  After I loitered in the area for several minutes, an employee (even younger than the young computer guy) showed up and proceeded to ignore me.  I asked if he was available.  Huh?  I asked if he was available to help me.  "With a phone?"  Well, duh.  Why else would I be in the mobile phone department?  "What kind of phone is it?" - and he said some things that sounded like English but didn't make sense to me.  I knew enough to say it's not a "smart" phone and mentioned my concern about the battery.  "We don't sell batteries here.  We sell chargers, though."  He recommended I ask for a battery at Radio Shack.

I left the store almost entirely unsatisfied.  When I complete the online survey about my shopping experience, I won't mention the hassle of driving to the store, but I'll definitely question why the website includes merchandise that the company doesn't sell, and why the store employs youngsters with poor customer service skills.

The next time I go to that store, I'll ask first if they have anyone on staff who is older than 25.

Woof.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home