Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, July 17, 2015

King of the Hive

That is to say I've been a busy bee.

On Tuesday, I worked late, so I got home late.  I had to get to the library before it closed, so I went there after letting my mom know I was home.  I picked up Chinese take-out after the library, which meant we didn't eat until after 8 p.m.  That didn't leave me time for the grocery store (since I had to pick up a prescription from the pharmacy, which closes earlier than the rest of the store), so that errand got shunted to Wednesday.

On Wednesday, I got off work and headed home on time.  We ate dinner.  Then I went to Costco to refuel my car and pick up a couple of things.  As soon as I dropped them off at home, I headed to the grocery store for the prescription and food.  After unpacking the groceries at home, I had to call the neighbor who helped my mom get in touch with the phone company about the phone line not working.  Then I prepared my lunch for the next day.  Then... how did it get to be time for the ten o'clock news already?!

It's a pity that no one I called asked why I hadn't returned their calls earlier, as I had this story all prepared to share.  My phone has been ringing like crazy since Monday.  For me, whose phone can go for a week or more without ringing, "like crazy" could be twice in one day, but considering that one woman left me three messages in less than 24 hours, you can imagine something like six or seven calls a day.

My Wednesday example caused me to ponder the dilemma faced by single parents.  They, too, have to do all the shopping and car and other adult stuff all on their own.  Even worse, they can't even leave their kids alone at the house (as I did with my mom) while they run errands.  I hate to think how long it would've taken me if I had children in tow.

2 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, July 17, 2015 , Blogger Betty said...

Yet another excellent reason never to have children.

 
At 6:59 PM, August 03, 2015 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really isn't a problem. My two kids never added that much time to my shopping unless it was for kids clothes or toys. Grocery shopping is something they help with now. My son knows how to select good quality bacon; my daughter scrutinizes the eggs. "I need xyz", and off they go to fetch hither. They know to check the dates on the milk, even. Kids are really not a problem when shopping.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home