Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, May 21, 2007

Ice, Ice, Maybe

This is one of those things that make me think I have a screw loose. I think the ice in New Mexico tastes like onions.

I first noticed this at my parents' house in Albuquerque. I dismissed it, though, as thinking maybe the baking soda in the freezer had worn out. Then, I noticed the same taste at their neighbor's house. I suppose that could be because the water in their neighborhood comes from a particular city well. It's not isolated to ABQ, though. My ice in Las Cruces has the same flavor.

I never noticed a funky taste from New Jersey ice. Is there something different about NM's water? I don't notice any flavor in the water itself. Does freezing bring out a particular volatile compound? Ice in restaurant beverages doesn't taste bad. Do they use water filters? Do ice machines handle water differently? Do automatic ice makers in home refrigerators add the taste?

1 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, May 21, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is kept in the freezer will determine what the ice tastes like.

Try keeping an open box of baking soda in your freezer and use filtered or bottled water.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home