Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, August 01, 2008

I can clearly see your nuts.

After the remanants of Hurricane Dolly drenched us last weekend, a lot of pecans were left on the parking lot. Every day, upon arriving home from work, I'd step on a few, to open the nuts for the doves scavenging in the parking lot. Yesterday, they were gone. I presume that the landscape maintenance company that occasionally remembers we are one of their clients came and ran their blowers around the property. (They never pull the weeds, though.)

As it is said, though, nature abhors a vacuum. In the evening, we had a two-minute downpour (or sidewayspour, since the wind appeared to blow very strongly from the south) that flooded the parking lot. About five minutes later, we had a five-minute sidewayspour, this time from the north.

When I ventured out later to wheel the polycarts to the street for today's garbage collection, I saw more pecans on the parking lot (and the cars) than had fallen last weekend. Man, that was a short period of cleanliness for the parking lot! (And that, children, is today's lesson in entropy.)

Naturally, the part of the parking lot that got flooded (again) is where the polycarts are kept. I had my sandals on, so as not to drench my sneakers, and I observed that the floodwaters were quite warm. That was the silver lining to the clouds overhead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home