Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Saturday, July 25, 2009

…and the horse you rode in on!

Are you familiar with the way that sentence usually starts? That was my mood, alternating with grateful, last night. I am lucky to be here to tell the tale.

For the first weeks I have been in Chattanooga, I have borrowed the pickup truck or the car belonging to the school’s athletics department. Last night, I had the car. I intended to go Downtown to drink (er, and eat) at The Hair of the Dog. I drove the car home from campus with no problems. I left the house and thought I heard and felt a slight shudder, somewhat like having a flat tire, so I pulled over and got out. The tires looked fine. I got Downtown with no problems. As I searched for a free parking space, that’s when I realized that the brake pedal went all the way to the floor with no effect whatsoever!

I managed to not hit anyone or anything, got the car going slowly uphill, turned a corner, rubbed the tires against the curb, and put the car into park. Then I called the school’s security officer, who called for a tow truck to bring the car and me back to campus. No, wait. First, I prayed to God and thanked Him that the situation wasn’t worse, that I hadn’t caused any property nor bodily damage, and that I had the brains to get the car stopped. Then I called security.

Part of me wanted to go home, eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and some barbecue Fritos, and go to bed. Another part of me grabbed a cliché and beat the wimpy me over the head with it. I decided to get back on the horse that threw me and get my dark beer, darn it! (As you can guess, I pretty much needed it by this point.) I borrowed the truck, drove around campus first to test the brakes, and headed back Downtown. I found a parking space just around the corner from where I was stranded.

The sign on the door said that, because of the recession, the pub would not serve beer on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday nights. I checked with my attractive and interactive waitress; no, they were not kidding. I needed a beer, demmit! I asked for Dr. Pepper. Their soda machine was on the fritz, and the employee they had sent out for two liter bottles hadn’t returned yet. Oy vey. I explained the look of frustration/exasperation on my face, and the waitress suggested that they had some bottles which, because of their high alcohol content, were considered liquors and could be served. Perfect!

She provided a menu, and I selected Skull Splitter. There was a darker not-beer on the menu, but I chose this one because it is from Scotland. It turns out I made the right choice. It was a very dark amber but clear (not cloudy), very smooth from start to finish, and with a flavor that didn’t hit my tastebuds over their heads with a cliché.

I selected another cliché in honor of the failed brakes and decided to pull out all the stops. [Insert groan here.] For dinner, I had the Guinness chili (excellent flavor, but the fine grain of the meat made me wonder if I was eating something other than beef), the Tramstopper (barbecue meatloaf -- not something I’d seen anywhere else, and something I’d not necessarily eat again) with French fries (loaded with seasoned salt, so I couldn’t use the malt vinegar conveniently located on the table), and dessert.

The pub’s desserts (not shown on the online menu) were a daily special or the Fried Black and Tan, described as Bananas Foster meets brownies. I asked what the daily special was. They were out of it. (Of course they were.) I had the Fried Black and Tan. There was a scoop of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce drizzles, and lighter cubes and brown cubes. When I cut into them with my spoon, I confirmed that they indeed had been fried. The brown ones were fried brownies. The lighter ones were what I’d describe as fried cheesecake. (Gotta love the South!) That was a definite get-again.

For lunch, I had gone across the street from campus to Café Lemont. It was a superb choice. I had barbecued spareribs (a little sweeter than I prefer), white beans (mixed with pork and onion and a touch of smoke flavoring), fried green tomatoes (something I had never dared try before, but I’ve been oddly adventurous since arriving in Chattanooga), a roll, sweet raspberry tea to drink, and a piece of chess pie for dessert. I haven’t tried the chess pie yet. It looked like a blondie to me, but one of the housekeepers whom I saw at the restaurant and with whom I ate said it is lemon flavored, which I like almost as much. The mouse in my office didn’t get to it in the afternoon, so I took it home and put it in my fridge.

Both restaurants were too expensive to be regular hangouts for me, but I definitely would return to both. Other than the car, I made some excellent choices yesterday -- but the car wasn’t really a matter of choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home