Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Stupidity of Plant People

I might not speak for all horticulturists, gardeners, or landscapers, but I think many of them will agree with my thoughts.

I started tidying up the apartments' back yard yesterday, removing scrub (mostly a species of Euonymus, a species of privet (Ligustrum), and some Japanese honeysuckle (Lonicera)) from beneath the trees and clearing off the chain link fence between the yard and a concrete drainage channel that I charitably call a creek. These shrubs and vines are messy, they make it difficult to tend to the property, and they contribute to the degradation of the fence.

Then, with the thought process typical to many plant people, I had a thought. "You know what would look good on this fence? A Lady Banks rose." Yes, why not grow a plant that will do the same to the fence as the weeds you are removing? Well, because it's not a weed, is it? And because it's pretty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home