Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, February 19, 2010

But I did get what I went there for.

After my cheesesteak tonight, I ventured over to Idiotville, Froggy's nickname for the part of The Noog which encompasses The Maul and Big Box Boulevard. (And I've had "Last Train to Clarksville" stuck in my head since this afternoon.)

Naturally, Target was out of stock of the sale item I wanted, but the woman at the service counter was very friendly as she prepared my raincheck. Then I got into trouble. "Oh, there's the European Market I've driven by so many times. I'll stop in tonight and see if they have pierogies and kielbasi," I thought. Famous last words.

That tiny store was jam-packed with cookies, candies, pastas, meats, crackers, fish, tea bags, cheeses, soups (canned and dry), various jarred things, and beverages -- and jam -- from all over Europe. I couldn't read many of the labels (although the Cyrillic word for "monastery" is very similar). They even had Vegemite, even though it's from Australia. Here's what I bought.

Red currant jelly - It's what my mom always used to make our peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but it's uncommon in grocery stores (at least in NM and TN; she always managed to find it in NJ), so I got a jar.

Two beef pasties - Where else can I find English food in The Noog? (No, I'm not referring to "something to cover small parts of a woman's anatomy", as my mother discreetly tried to explain to me when I mispronounced the word -- once -- when I was young.)

Two different English meat pies - They did not have Sweeney Todd's name on the label. I checked. I bought one steak and banger and one steak and mushroom. (I don't like mushrooms, but I'd rather not try the steak and kidney variant.)

Frozen pretsels (sic) - They don't come packaged with chunky salt, like the ones in many grocery store freezer sections, and they're not Philly-area pretzels, but why not try them once? (I only hope I like them because there are ten in that bag.)

Mr. Kipling apple and black currant pies - Yes, currants again. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're "exceedingly good", like the label claims, but they're decent. (I couldn't not try one as soon as I got them home, as they are not individually wrapped in hermetically sealed pouches, and I could fit only five of them in that resealable, plastic bag to toss in the freezer.) Note that they actually are miniature pies, not like empanadas or Hostess fruit pies.

A package of smoked kielbasi - Again, I hope I like them, because there are a lot to eat, even if I don't.

Three types of pierogies: two Russian and one Polish (the Russian ones are smaller) - The choice of pierogies in The Noog grocery freezer sections is limited to two kinds: take it or leave it (and the "leave it" flavor is much better). There were about a dozen different flavors here. Wahoo!

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm a food slut. I can't help myself. I spent over $80 (before tax) in that store, and I didn't even buy any of the cookies, candies, or soda. Worse yet, now I don't have room in my freezer for all those Girl Scout cookies I ordered.

So, when are you able to come visit and translate all of those yummy looking packages for me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home