Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Grampah can't do math in his head?!

It took a while, but I finally figured it out this morning. The woman who jogs on the indoor track runs 1.5 times faster than I walk.

First, I had to wait for a day we were both heading in the same direction. (She always jogs counterclockwise.) Then I had to notice that she kept passing me at the same point. (It was conveniently at the end of my even-numbered laps.)

I started by trying to figure out, "If I walk two laps and she doesn't pass me until the second lap, how much faster is she going?" However, my head would get all muddled until I felt like Pooh Bear.

Then I had the realization that helped. "What if I figure out how much slower I'm going?" I could make that work. I also counted how many laps she ran. (That helped a lot more.) She ran three laps for every two laps I walked. Ergo, she runs 1.5 times faster than I walk.

But, you know me. I had to keep thinking. If she had been running twice as fast as I walked, she'd be running 100% faster. But doesn't 100% mean the entire amount? She must have been running 50% faster. Doesn't 50% mean half? Yes, but that doesn't mean she was running half as fast.

If 100% means twice as fast and 50% means half as fast, then how come 75% doesn't mean just as fast? Arrgh!

Tubby little cubby all stuffed with fluff...

(By the way, this post's title is a line by Frederick in Frasier.)

3 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, March 23, 2010 , Blogger Betty said...

She was running 50% faster than you, or 150% of your speed. (One way to say this is that she was half again as fast as you.) You, of course, were walking at 100% of your speed, so someone walking 100% as fast as you would be walking just as fast as you. Someone walking 100% faster than you would be walking at 200% of your speed.

Does that make sense?

 
At 6:25 PM, March 23, 2010 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

As "Brainie the Poo" once said, "Ponder. Ponder. Ponder."

Coincidentally, one of The Noog's TV stations, which shows syndicated Frasier repeats, aired the very show tonight from which I drew the title reference.

 
At 5:04 AM, March 24, 2010 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

One thing I forgot to mention in my post, and in the follow-up comment, was that word problems always have confused me. Words I can do. Math I can do. Mix the two together, however, and I get confused quickly.

If I hadn't been walking and could've sat down at a desk, with a pencil and paper, it would've been so much easier.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home