Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, December 20, 2010

Don't judge a book by its cover.

I took Thing One to Tubby's on Friday, and she enjoyed her cheesesteak. I told her we'd have to go back through/to downtown sometime when the sun is up, so she can really see what's there.

Saturday morning, I took her down to Ft. O. We went to a thrift store, grocery shopping at Aldi, and then to Big Lots. In the afternoon, I drove her down the main drag in East Ridge, where we ate lunch, visited two thrift stores, and a used bookstore.

I picked up most of the Inspector Lynley series by Elizabeth George. They had one of the Capital Crimes series by Margaret Truman, and it looked in far better condition than the other books around it. Then I wondered why I hadn't snapped it up because it looked a little familiar. I opened the cover, looked at the price, and saw "as is" written below. "Why is it... Oh," I realized, when I saw the crayon scribbles on the inside of the cover and the flyleaf. It had looked familiar. I had seen it before and passed it up for the very same reason. If it were going into my personal collection, I might buy it anyway, but since I intend to donate it to a library, I know they won't accept a damaged book. Thus, an otherwise good book will languish on the shelf, unloved, through no fault of its own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home