Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Playing Hooky

Well, sure I'm posting this while sitting in my office, but I'm not "at work" per se. I'm taking a "Personal Day" to run errands, but I got my crew started this morning, I'll be attending the daily managers meeting, and I'll be carrying my two-way radio, so I'm not exactly on vacation. (I suppose you could say that I'm not all there.)

First off, I'm going to have blood drawn before my annual physical. It's screwed up, though, because I phoned my doctor back in NM to schedule an appointment while I'm in the state next month, and I was told that they won't schedule me until my blood work is done. Now what happens if they get the blood work but don't have any openings on the one day I'll be able to make it?

Second, I'm going to pick up a floral arrangement. Why? Well, that's the big news that I haven't been able to tell you yet.

An administrative assistant position opened up where I work, so I tossed Thing One's resume into the mix. (She has been unemployed since the unfortunate circumstances that caused me to find a happier job in The Noog, 17 1/2 months ago.) Skippy then asked all managers to select interview-worthy candidates out of the more-than-a-dozen applications he received. I selected Thing One's (naturally) and four others. (Not only was I being fair, but I truly thought they all were worth considering for interviews.) It turns out that the other three managers agreed with me on three candidates, including Thing One. (I recused myself from any other involvement in the process, to avoid conflict of interest.) Skippy interviewed three candidates (all by phone). He wasn't happy after speaking to the first candidate who, as it turned out, had someone else create the resume for her. He was utterly blown away by Thing One's interview and unhappily told me I "didn't do a good enough job of selling her". The third candidate said she was looking for a "more executive" administrative position. So...

Thing One got the job and is moving to The Noog! I'm so excited on many fronts. She now is employed. I'll have a good friend in town. I know she'll steamroll over her predecessor.

So that's why I'm buying flowers today. Thing One should arrive this afternoon. She's bringing one of her dogs, and she'll be temporarily housed in the apartment next door to me. Her mother and other dog are staying in NM to sell the houses (the one they live in, and the mobile home her daughter's family recently moved out of), and she won't see her daughter and grandchildren very often any more, so that's pretty bittersweet, but... she is now employed!

I think that's why, even after "Woeful Wednesday", I've been in a darned good mood.

1 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, December 14, 2010 , Blogger Betty said...

I love it when things actually work out!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home