Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Holy shmegeggy!

It wasn't a lot of snow, but it was a lot of shoveling. For 1.75 days, all sense of routine was suspended, and I was shoveling. In fact, I even skipped my morning workouts and just started shoveling first thing.

I swept the snow from my front sidewalk before going to work Monday, and I thought we got about 4". However, the handy sticker on the Manplow I used (and broke, after just four hours) says there was actually 6". You see? It really is bigger than it looks!

I do need to thank the half of my crew that came in to work, and the members of Froggy's crew that helped out. Plus, it was handy that we had a large loader/backhoe and small trackhoe on campus from another project, so that probably helped us clear the roads and parking lots faster than we would have otherwise. Campus is ready to reopen* -- but the rest of The Noog is not.

And before you ask me, like the whiny employees who said, "But it's not my fault I couldn't get to work," no, you do not get to use vacation or sick time for your two days off. First off, how fair would that be to the employees that did come in and shoveled snow while you stayed at home, playing video games? Second, getting paid might encourage the same employees to stay at home the next time it snows. Third, how come the employee that lives 40+ miles away drove here, but you couldn't? (And, sad to say, one employee, who lives just one block farther from campus than I, phoned to ask if he had to come to work.)

* Skippy said yesterday that the headmaster "was literally gushing" that we had campus ready to go. Eww! Is that anything like, "I'm so happy I could just barf"?

1 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, January 12, 2011 , Blogger Betty said...

I think I'm going to start saying things like, "He was figuratively gushing," 'and see if I can get it to catch on.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home