Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pay me in science.

I had a fairly normal dream this morning (which is unusual in itself).

I was with my mother outside the house where I grew up, watching fire trucks pull up to the house next door. Then we headed inside, so I could get ready for the first day of school. All the planters in front of our house had been paved over with concrete. As I went upstairs to my bedroom, my mom said that it was windy, so I couldn't wear shorts to school. I looked out the window, and, indeed, it was very windy (trees bent over). I thought that, not only would I have to wear long pants to school, I'd probably need to pack a sweatshirt and sweatpants for gym class, so I wouldn't freeze my /ahem/ off. Someone came to my room and said there was a problem in the forensic lab downstairs. When I got down there, the guy who runs the lab said that their computers had been wiped out, so all their billing records and their case data for the past week were gone. They seemed rather worried that they wouldn't be able to tell who paid their bills and who might say, "Yeah, I paid you, but that was the week your records were lost, so you just don't remember." A young woman who was there to pay her bill (a look at it told me that the lab charged about $100 an hour, which sounds pretty reasonable to me) offered to trade her services in kind. "Can I pay you in science?" she asked.

That's when the alarm clock went off.

I know some of you out there work in science. Some of you discover neat stuff (even if it's not what you hoped to discover). Some of you work in fields that mean $100 bucks an hour is a downright bargain. Thank you for doing what you do.

And, yes, you may pay me in science. Just get the movie's theme song out of my head.

3 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, May 10, 2011 , Blogger Betty said...

I'm more helping other people do science than doing it myself, but you're welcome, anyway. :)

Me, I had really annoying dreams this morning. First I was at work and somebody needed me to do something I wasn't sure how to do, but people kept interrupting me with other stuff before I could ask for clarification, and by the time I figured out what I needed to know, everybody else was leaving for a 3-day weekend, but I had to stay really late to finish the darned thing.

And then I dreamed I went on a trip with a bunch of friends and my sister. We were staying at a motel and were just about to leave to do something really fun that was all my idea in the first place, but while I was walking back to the room from the lobby or something, I saw them all pile into a van and drive off without me, having apparently forgotten that I existed.

I did not wake up happy.

 
At 4:56 AM, May 11, 2011 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

Sounds like someone needs some time off.

 
At 7:55 AM, May 11, 2011 , Blogger Betty said...

Which I now have. Thank goodness. Although I possibly have too much to do on my time off...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home