Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, October 10, 2011

Long Day's Journey into Noog

Last Friday was the day we observed Labor Day (since we worked on the actual holiday). I woke up and worked out as usual, but then I had breakfast at Aretha Frankenstein's. (Maybe that's how the pun got into my head.) I discourage you from ordering the Mexican omelette.

I walked over to campus and turned on all the irrigation, to make sure that our new seed and sod stay moist. (Oops - I forgot to do so yesterday.) Then I started painting the bottom half of the front of my apartment building. For some reason, those shingles were painted dark green, but the rest of the front (and the entire sides and back) were gray. I think the building looks much better now that it's a uniform color. It lightens up the front porch, too. (Thing One asked if I had cleaned up the front porch; she didn't say anything about the new paint.)

Saturday was my lazy day. Wait, I take that back. I went to the back to deposit a check and withdraw some cash for Sunday, and I also irrigated the fields and sod again.

On Sunday, I drove Thing One and V (a coworker from the business office) to the Georgia Apple Festival. I bought some tiny (I do mean "tiny". Two of them are no bigger than my little toenail.) owl figurines which complement the ones I bought from the same vendor two years ago, and some matted owl photos (three for $20 was a great deal). Thing One and V didn't buy anything. That is, they didn't buy anything at the Apple Festival.

On the way to lunch at Bud's Pink Pig restaurant, we stumbled across the Cherry Log Festival. It was much smaller than the apple festival, and both Thing One and V bought a sack of sweet potatoes. Then, we stopped by two orchards we had passed on the way to the apple festival, and I bought a bag (1/2 peck) of Stayman Winesap apples and a bag of Arkansas Black apples. V and Thing One bought some Rome apples. (One orchard was more crowded, probably because they had paid for signs along the road, but its prices weren't any higher than the other, and they didn't have any different cultivars. I won't link to its website because they have enough publicity.)

I was close to nodding off on the drive back to the Noog, but we arrived home safe and sound. We had been gone about eight hours (nearly half of that was driving), but the weather was good, and we didn't spend too much money, and we brought home some healthy foods. I think it was a good weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home