Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, November 18, 2011

Consider it a verbal flyswatter.

Yesterday, as we prepared to leave our daily meeting, Thing One yawned for quite a long time. "I'm sorry," she apologized, "I'm catching flies."

I stifled my laugh but couldn't help but smile. After all, she was standing next to the sourpuss Miss Kitty, and I remembered that you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.

Later in the day, I was pondering how nice it might be to stick it to Miss Kitty one last time before she retires. She has gotten even sourer and more mean-spirited than I thought possible. Can she not be happy about anything anymore?

How, though, could I be clever enough to zing her in a way that 1) can't be retorted and 2) isn't blatant to everyone else. I thought of it (and Thing One helped me refine it) after surprisingly little time. It's clever, it's short, and it sticks it to her just subtly enough.

I will sign, on her retirement card, "I hope you'll be happy in Texas."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home