Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, November 18, 2011

'Tis the season, but I'm not jolly yet.

Skippy said yesterday that the company which decorates the school's live tree for Christmas every year would be here today. Naturally, they showed up yesterday. Even though we're still a week away from Thanksgiving, the lights were on last night. Ho-ho-ho, and all that rot.

As I passed by the building which houses the band room, I heard the students practicing the song "I Saw Three Ships". Naturally, it got stuck in my head. Also naturally, I thought how easy it would be to parody that song. I came up with this.

My waitress asked me, "Red or green?"
"Red or green?" "Red or green?"
My waitress asked me, "Red or green?"
On Christmas day in the morning.


I think it's because Thing One has been talking about making tamales and posole, traditional Christmas-season dishes for some people. (Now those are symbols of Christmas I don't mind coming early!)

I thought up a second verse this morning.

Tamal, posole, refried beans,
On Christmas day, on Christmas day.
Tamal, posole, refried beans,
On Christmas day in the morning.


Yes, "tamal", not "tamale" is the correct singular form of "tamales". (How about that? "Mr. Language Person" is also "Mr. Foreign Language Person"!)

I hereby invite you to contribute whatever verses you can imagine. They don't have to be Mexican-food related. And, as you can see in this link, I varied the form by repeating the first line in my first stanza, but I kept the second line intact in my second stanza. Heck, if we're making a parody, why not vary it? (Scroll down in the link for sheet music, if you're not familiar with the tune.)

Have fun! Share and enjoy! (And if you're sharing tamales and posole, call me!)

1 Comments:

At 6:18 AM, November 18, 2011 , Blogger Betty said...

Oh, man, now I'm hungry.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home