Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, March 12, 2012

One Day at a Time

"I really mean it this time," was what our high school band director said every single time he threatened to give a kid a "white card" for misbehaving and then didn't follow through with it.  Well, that's what I said about resuming swimming and walking on weekend mornings.  I acknowledged that I don't sleep well and am likely to be awake about the usual time on weekends anyway, and there were no excuses of a swim meet at the pool or the bleachers obstructing the indoor track, so I set my alarm for Saturday morning.

It worked out quite well, actually.  I was surprised how much endurance I had for swimming.  (Walking I can handle all the time.)  There was one whammy, though.  Sleeping badly and getting up to exercise is one thing.  Sleeping badly and getting up to exercise with an hour less sleep because of Daylight Savings Crime is another.  When my alarm sounded on Sunday, I shut it off, reset it for two hours later (to make sure I'd have time to shower and eat before the insurance adjuster came to look at my car), and lay down again.  Oh, well.  I can always try for both days again next weekend.

The insurance guy surprised me by how thorough he was.  He found dings on my car (from the hailstorm) that I had overlooked.  He also surprised me with his estimate of what he thinks it'll cost to repair:  about $3,700.  (Yikes!)  However, the company is prepared to cut me a check for that amount (less my $500 deductible).  Now I'm going to get estimates from a couple of repair places, including the one my insurance company recommends.  Of course, I want the job to be done well and correctly, but part of me hopes it'll be completed for less money, so I'll have a little extra.  (Another part of me says not to have the repairs at all, since the dings are so little anyway, and then I'd have all that money...)

I also have another shopping adventure to share with you, but I'll post about that later, when I have the receipts in front of me.

2 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, March 12, 2012 , Blogger Betty said...

When my car got pounded by the Great Socorro Hailstorm a number of years ago, I kept the dings and pocketed the cash. Easiest $2,000 I ever made, and worth it, because the car is now 13 years old, and I'm still driving it. By the time I finally get rid of it, it's going to have practically no resale value, anyway, so what the heck. What do I care if it looks like a golf ball, as long as it runs?

 
At 5:47 PM, March 12, 2012 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

Well, I could always stick that check into my IRA...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home