Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, November 30, 2012

Rage against the Machine

Swallowing my pride, I am trying to apply for unemployment.  I shudder at becoming a statistic, but that might not even happen.  If what I'm about to relate to you happens to other people, the monthly unemployment figures must be underreported.

I went to the NM workforce website and attempted to apply online.  After answering some questions, the site informed me that I could not complete my application online and that I must phone a toll-free number.  I did so.  I waited on hold (listening to the same dratted music and "a representative will be with you shortly" malarkey) for 2 hours and 20 minutes.  I then had a 2-minute conversation with a woman who said I was ineligible for unemployment in NM because my former job was in TN.  At least she gave me the toll-free number to call for TN unemployment.

I tried that number and got a recording that said all of their employees were busy and that I should try the website before automatically hanging up on me.  I went to said website and was stuck when it asked for the routing number for my bank account.  (TN requires applicants to specify how they want benefits to be paid, even before anyone has looked at the application, let alone accepted it.)  It would've been nice if the voice mail had let me know I needed to have bank information with me.  I returned with a deposit slip and began the process all over again.  (What?  You think they'd let me save my information and continue from there?  You must be more naive than I.)  Unfortunately, the website claims that my routing number is invalid.  I guess I have to go to the bank and have them tell me I'm right before trying the phone number again, to tell them that their website won't let me through.  That is, if the voice mail will let me through.

Mind you, this didn't all happen in a day or anything.  What with making trips to the library for computer time, and phoning during "normal" business hours in a given time zone, and the Thanksgiving holiday in the middle of everything, I have now been trying for two weeks.  Add to that another few days, since I can't try TN again (either phone or website) until Monday.

I'd love to end this with, "At this rate, I'll be employed again before my benefits are granted," but I haven't had any positive responses to my applications.  I take that back.  One guy in Dallas called me, but he's looking for someone who already lives in the city.  (So why did he bother calling?)

I sent out a flood of e-mails to the companies where I had applied while living in the Noog, to give them my new address and phone number, and only one replied to have me resend my cover letter and resume.  I haven't gotten any replies that said, "Sorry, we're not interested," or even, "Who are you?  You never applied with us."  Do I even want to work for a company that doesn't have the courtesy to respond?

4 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, December 18, 2012 , Blogger Geosomin said...

so? How goes it all?

 
At 8:32 PM, December 18, 2012 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

Thanks for your interest. I haven't have much to report so didn't post anything until today. Maybe I'll have something better to report in the new year.

 
At 11:46 AM, January 11, 2013 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever get your unemployment?

 
At 12:28 PM, January 16, 2013 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

I got a letter stating that I had provisionally been accepted, and that my employer could still appeal up to a certain date. The date passed, and I haven't received any further notificiation, and my checking account balance doesn't show any additions. I guess I have to call them and wait on hold for hours to see if anything is happening.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home