Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Just give me instructions. That's all that I ask.

Even though I'm a technophobe, I can use computers.  (See?  I'm doing it right now!)  So, when the company sends me e-mails to complete forms online before I start my job, I should be able to do that, right?

Should.

I should be able to click on "this link" in the e-mail -- except that there's no hypertext associated with it, to open a link if I click on it.

Okay, so I reply to the second e-mail (the one saying she added more forms at that link) and say that the second e-mail doesn't contain the link, either, and can she just type it so I can copy and paste it into the URL bar.

She did so, and I completed the W-4 form there.  No other forms appeared, and there were no menu choices for finding forms to complete online.

She also asked if I had tried clicking on the link at the bottom of the e-mail.  I replied to confirm that I completed the W-4, noted that I didn't find any other forms to complete, asked if there's supposed to be a separate link for each form, and pointed out that her very same e-mail instructed me to "disregard the following links", so I did.

This all stems from my Myers-Briggs Personality Type.  I took the test when I was 13 and scored I-N-T-J (with a borderline N).  I took the test again when I was 23 and scored I-S-T-J (with a borderline S).  The results indicate that I am not good at intuiting nor at sensing.  In other words, tell me what you want me to do.  I will not be able to guess what you want, and experience shows that too many other people don't think logically, so I won't be able to proceed as if I think the same way you do (or, indeed, that I think the way you think I do).  If you want me to click on a link, I'll do it (as long as the link is there), but if you want me to guess how to find other forms not evident from that link, or if you want me to guess if the instruction to ignore links is false, you'll be waiting for a while.

I thought I was being hired for a "grounds" position?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home