Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Thursday, April 25, 2013

I Get Around

I decided to find all the westside schools yesterday (at least the ones southwest of the river).  I lucked out on the first one, which was marked in my city atlas but didn't appear on the school board's map.  (That's because it's a closed site, which we have to mow though the building is unused.)  Then I got lost on my way to all the others.  All the roads go funky right by the interstate, and I kept ending up on the frontage road when I didn't want to be there and couldn't find it later when I needed it (natch).  There were no street signs for quite a ways (about two miles, it turns out), until I saw one that said 61st Street.  Then I saw 62nd, 63rd...  I couldn't turn around until 66th.  (I knew I was heading the wrong direction because I was looking for 33rd.)  After repassing 61st, going in the right direction, I didn't see another sign until 41st!

Of course, you know that I am not still lost since I'm typing this in my hotel room, but it didn't help that, once I was reoriented and knew exactly how to get to the next school, I encountered a construction zone which made me wind through a neighborhood, hoping I could find another way of getting there.  (I did.)

I think I'm finding every durned road construction area in the city (such as a good chunk of 11th Street South today).  I even questioned myself; was my statement merely hyperbole?  Not likely, since I have to find every school, which means I get off my "ant trail" first of all and off primary roads second of all.  Therefore, it is indeed likely that I will find every site where the road is torn up.  Funny, you'd think with all this road construction going on, there wouldn't be so many bad roads in this city.

Naturally, I thought the Beach Boys song would cap off this post quite well.  Naturally, I'm sharing this instead.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home