Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Tuesday, July 02, 2013

It beats the "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon".

While looking through the various Flip Wilson sketches on YouTube for the one I included in the previous post (Can you believe that's the only one with "What you see is what you get"?), I saw one with Harry Belafonte.  The first thing I thought of is how he said, when appearing on The Muppet Show, that he had never before performed "The Banana Boat Song" on TV.  However, he's singing it on Flip!, isn't he?  Well, maybe it's a loophole, because he doesn't sing the whole song, and does it a capella in this clip.



Does the latter song he performed sound familiar?  Actually, it wouldn't to me, if not for this sketch from The Muppet Show.  (Can anyone tell me who sang it originally?  For many songs, I've heard the Muppet version first and then am astounded to hear the original.)



So, to complete the triangle, here's the clip I mentioned in the first paragraph:  Harry Belafonte singing "The Banana Boat Song" on The Muppet Show.  (I may have mentioned this before, but Fozzie cracks me up in this sketch.)


1 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, July 10, 2013 , Blogger Geosomin said...

I love the kermit version :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home