Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, May 12, 2014

In One Ear...

Shortly after I moved to the Noog, one of my ears became blocked by wax.  That had never happened before in my life, so I blamed it on the sudden return to a humid climate.

It has happened again (same ear).  Is it because of humidity again?  (If so, why a year after I moved here?)  Is it air pressure?  Is it the way I sleep, or my pillow?

Wax-melting eardrops restored me to partial hearing on Saturday, but I reclogged Sunday.  I had partial hearing for a short time this morning.  The rest of the day, I've walked around, turning my good ear to people who talk to me, and developing a headache just on the deaf side of my head.

Another inconvenience may lead me to temporarily change the radio station in my car.  When you're living with just one ear, a classical radio station can confuse one's brain into thinking it hears a siren or one of one's mobile phones.

5 Comments:

At 10:59 PM, May 12, 2014 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am he who treads a dangerous path; I put the swab all the way into my ear canal.

Never really have had an issue with wax since I have been doing it. I don't let it build up in the first place.

I wait until after I shower so the wax is soft. But the drops are probably a better way to clean the canal if it has lots of buildup, otherwise you run the risk of impacting the wax.

 
At 11:01 PM, May 12, 2014 , Anonymous Robomarkov said...

Oops. I had the blogger cookies blocked.

 
At 12:17 AM, May 13, 2014 , Blogger Betty said...

Ear wax is ridiculously annoying. Did you try syringing out your ears? Sometimes that works, although it always takes me entirely too many attempts.

 
At 3:59 PM, May 13, 2014 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

I run a cotton swab outside the ear canal after using the drops, but it doesn't collect much of anything. I probably ought to get a syringe, or go see a doctor.

 
At 5:35 PM, May 13, 2014 , Blogger Betty said...

If it's impacted enough to affect your hearing, you're not going to get it out with a swab. (And, of course, shouldn't poke any further into the ear than you already did.) A few days' worth of drops followed by syringing might do it, but it can be difficult. A doctor can syringe it out for you much more efficiently, but, of course, much more expensively.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home