Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, October 31, 2014

As Garfield Once Said, "Candy, Candy, Candy, Candy, Candy!"

The autumn's first freeze is forecast for tonight.  I photographed my outdoor flowerpots earlier this summer, so I won't bother doing it again, but I might show you a picture of dead flowers tomorrow, if I think they're picturesque enough.

I've whined before (annoyingly often, probably) about how I've adapted to the heat of New Mexico and don't put up with cold very well any more.  (Not to mention snow.)  The first freeze is a good enough excuse for me to stay inside all weekend – but then I'd miss out on all the discounted Halloween candy!  (Talk about a real scare.)

I might talk myself into treating myself to a meal at my Chinese restaurant, and end up venturing out of the apartment after all.  I came up with the idea today.  (You're already familiar with my train of thought, but you're going to get it anyway.)

-- Gee, since my mechanic is away hunting, I won't do our usual eating-lunch-out-on-Friday's thing and save some money.
-- If you already expect to spend the money on eating out, why not do it?  You haven't had Chinese in a while.
-- But the portions are so large, I'd end up eating just the wonton soup and taking the entire entree home as leftovers.*  If I'm already expecting to put most of my meal into a styrofoam box, why not just order to go and read while I'm eating at home?
-- Because it's not really a treat if you're eating at home, is it?
-- Well, then I'm back to not going out, and saving money again.  I can't go out to dinner, anyway, because today's Halloween, and I actually had one group of trick-or-treaters last year, and I don't want to miss them if they come back today.^
-- Okay, then, eat out on Saturday instead.  Besides, having leftovers means you're getting more than one meal for the money.
-- But it will be cooooold.
-- You can't come up with a better excuse than that?

Speaking of excuses, here are ways to prod myself outside tomorrow.
1) Discounted candy at my grocery store.  (Also discounted Boo Berry cereal.)
2) Discounted candy at the discount store next to my grocery store.
3) Flu shot.
4) Discounted candy at same drug store where flu shot is.
5) Drug store is walking distance, so I can burn calories while bringing home my candy.
6) Chinese restaurant.
7) Discounted candy at the discount store (different chain) next to my Chinese restaurant.

Do you sense a theme here?

* Seriously.  The "small" portion of wonton soup is a full bowl, not a cup.  It is enough to satisfy my stomach.
^ I did need to walk to the library, or else be bookless tonight, so if they came before 5 p.m., I missed them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home