Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, April 30, 2018

The High Cost of Dying & Living

When my dad died, I discussed how expensive funeral arrangements could be, even if one stuck with the least expensive options.  I won't repeat the post with my mom's passing, but I would like to specify how expensive obituaries can be.

Throughout her life, my mom lived near three distinct cities, so I chose to post her obituary in the Albuquerque Journal, Chicago Tribune, and Philadelphia Inquirer.  I chose to have it run three days in each newspaper.  (I don't know why, but three days is stuck in my head as the standard length of time.)  Since Sundays are a big day for newspaper readership, and since the timing is appropriate for my mom's viewing, I chose Sun. through Tue. (and added Wed. in the ABQ paper, since that's the day of her viewing).

For the Albuquerque Journal, the total cost for all four days is $1,583.00.  Sunday only costs $440.75, and Mon., Tue., & Wed. cost $380.75 per day.

For the Chicago Tribune, the total cost for all three days is $1,328.07.  Sunday only costs $679.00.  Sunday/Monday only costs $1,003.50.

The Philadelphia Inquirer is the most expensive.  For all three days, the total cost is $1,584.66.  For Sunday only, it costs $1,308.78.  Monday is just $275.00, and Tuesday is free (if it is the third consecutive running date).

I checked the Sunday Journal, and I saw that they included my mom's picture -- in color yet.  (I don't know yet if the color option will be Sunday only or all four days.)  But I did not want her picture included!  Now I know why running her obituary was so expensive.  (Fortunately, my credit card could handle the cost, but I'll be asking the bank's trust department to reimburse me when I meet with them this week.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home