Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, February 19, 2007

Mr. Litter-al

Along the interstate within Las Cruces city limits is a sign which reads DO NOT LITTER $300 FINE (note no punctuation). I presume that the intended message is that one who is caught littering will be fined the amount of $300.00. However, that isn’t what it says. Is it?

If I insert the assumed period after "litter", does that mean it is okay if I want to drop $300 out my window? Three $100 bills would be easiest, naturally, but three hundred $1 bills would catch the breeze so much more nicely. Then again, $300 in quarters would bounce rather well. Do you think 30,000 pennies would create a road hazard?

If I read the sign as is, I can interpret it to mean that I should not let a fine in the amount of $300 (should I have one) blow across the highway. The sign is wise to warn drivers, as even I would be tempted to "lose" my fine and pretend I never had it. On the other hand, I’d still have to pay the $300, even if I didn’t have my paperwork, so what’s the point?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home