Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, August 17, 2009

One out of two ain't bad.

I found the "hoagie" place this weekend. (That's not the one; that's part of the two.) Note on the menu that none of their sandwiches actually contains official hoagie fixings. Note also that the menu does not warn customers that the sandwiches are served warmed up. At least I was warned in advance that I had to ask them not to put mayonnaise on my "hoagie". Finally, the sandwich I was served was an easy-to-consume, one-person serving, not a traditional hoagie that is so large that even one half is daunting. (The fries were okay, though.)

The successful venture this weekend was finding an authentic cheesesteak place (or at least a reasonable facsimile). Alas, Tubby's has no website to share with you, but what hole-in-the-wall worth its name does? (Interestingly, the outside appears to be a large, new building, but the inside looks like the establishment has been crammed in there for years.) I went there on a quest for a weekly hang-out burger joint. I didn't even try a burger; I dared to give the cheesesteak a chance. I was pleasantly surprised; it was almost good! The sandwich automatically comes with grilled bell peppers and onions -- and mayonnaise. (Is using mayonnaise inappropriately on sandwiches a Southern thing, or can I have these people arrested?) Not to mention I would need to order two to receive a serving closer to a true cheesesteak. (The jalapeno poppers were okay, though.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home