Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Hovel Sweet Hovel

The day Nuboss picked me up from the airport, he drove me around campus (and got me thoroughly confused) then brought me to the apartment where I would be living. It was unprepossessing, to say the least. Still, the rent is low, and I have a paycheck, so beggars can't be choosers.

Nuboss opened the door and shut off the alarm system. ("This dump has an alarm system?" I wondered to myself.) The living room has a dark, wooden floor and a long closet -- but there was no furniture and no door to the closet. The kitchen has new vinyl flooring, a new washer/dryer, and a new refrigerator. The stove (electric) is harvest gold, which tells you how old it is. The cabinets are cheap plywood with a honey colored finish and black handles that tell you how old they are. The countertop is a bluish green laminate with a metal edge, which confirms just how old the kitchen is. (Contrasted with the kitchen I left in Las Cruces, I was about ready to turn around and leave.) The bathroom is serviceable, but the tub is permanently stained. (Yes, a tub mat was one of the first things I bought.) The bedroom also has a wood floor and a large closet without a door. However, it had furniture: one, twin bed taken from one of the dorms.

"What do you think?" Nuboss asked me.

"May I have something to sit on?" was my reply.

Once I borrowed furniture from storage (in the building conveniently next door), the place is usable and habitable. Nothing matches, but let's call it eclectic. I found out I'll be allowed to take care of my yard, but I'm not going to do anything extravagant because it won't be kept up after I leave. My first tasks, actually, aren't planting flowers (even though that would be like trying to hide acne with makeup). First, I need to prune the tree branches so I can actually use the sidewalk, and I need to dig out those two old, tire "planters" a previous resident placed in the yard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home