Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

My question has been answered.

On April 20, I posted the question, "If April showers bring May flowers, what do July, August, September, October, November, December, January, February, March, and April showers bring? The answer, which I discovered last night, is June thunderstorms, of course!

After five minutes of thunder, the heavens opened for about half an hour. For a half hour after that, it rained steadily. The Weather Channel claimed we had just over 5.5" of rain in May, which I'm likely to agree with, but just 0.2" last night. Obviously, wherever their weather station is (probably the airport), it wasn't outside my apartment. It rained so hard, our gutters overflowed (and leaked through my kitchen ceiling again), the back yard was mostly underwater, and the arroyo nearly overflowed its concrete sides.

One of the campus security officers stopped by my apartment after the storm to tell me that one of the new trees we planted before commencement (just a week and a half ago) had fallen over but that he hadn't seen any large trees damaged*. I checked it on the way between the gym and my office a few minutes ago, and I see that it was tipped over by the wind but not broken. There were a lot of small branches on the sidewalk I take to the gym, but we got off surprisingly light.

*Umm, that would be since Sunday night, when the second of the three trees on my "can we please take these down before they fall down?" list broke in half. I should start a pool for people to bet on when they think the third tree will fall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home