Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, May 21, 2010

Maybe they use New Math.

I've been holding back as long as I could, but I can't do it any more. I must whine that I can't figure out how and why people around here do things the way they do.

Example 1: This year's graduating class is 170. However, when I checked out the setup in the gym this morning, I saw at least 20 rows of 32 chairs. That's 640 chairs. Maybe the graduates will sit in the bleachers and their families will sit in the chairs?

Example 2: They requested a total of 150 chairs to be set up for Advanced Placement exams. Do they mean to tell me that 150 out of 170 students are smart enough to take AP exams? (Seems an awfully high percentage for a school that emphasizes athletics.) Now consider two exams being given simultaneously (according to the schedule, only one or two exams will be given at any time). Seventy-five students, I suppose, took Spanish, and the other 75 took French -- or maybe they took both languages, since the exams are given on different days. But what if a student took Spanish and Computer Science? Oh well, I suppose if he's that smart, it'll be no problem to take both exams at the same time.

Oh, that's right. They do things differently at a private school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home