Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Where's y'all frum?

This online quiz is frighteningly accurate.

What American accent do you have?
Created by Xavier on Memegen.net

Northern. Whether you have the world famous Inland North accent of the Great Lakes area, or the radio-friendly sound of upstate NY and western New England, your accent is what used to set the standard for American English pronunciation (not much anymore now that the Inland North sounds like it does).

If you are not from the North, you are probably one of the following:
(a) A Southerner who hates Southern accents and tries really hard to "talk right"; or
(b) A New Yorker or New Jerseyan who doesn't have the full accent

Take this quiz now - it's easy!
We're going to start with "cot" and "caught." When you say those words do they sound the same or different?





Although I post anonymously, I will reveal that I was born and raised in New Jersey, by parents from the Great Lakes area. (Just how specific can this quiz be? Could it identify which town in NJ?)

I'd kind of like to see a variation on this quiz: one which identifies you by vocabulary, such as Southerners who use "buggy" instead of "shopping cart" or Midwesterners who use "pop" instead of "soda".

3 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, May 14, 2011 , Blogger Betty said...

Talking of frighteningly accurate... It pegged me as a "Philadelphia accent," with the further clarification that if you're not from Philadelphia, you're almost certainly from the surrounding area, such as South Jersey or Delaware. Which I guess makes me an even more authentic New Jersian than you are, although I'm sure whether that's something to be proud of or not. :) What's funny is that I know I've been told by a relative at least once since I've been here that I've started talking like a New Mexican. Apparently not all that much.

 
At 4:45 AM, May 16, 2011 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

Hmm, I never thought of you having a Philly accent. Maybe I'm just too used to hearing it that it sounds normal to me.

I wonder how it would peg my sophomore biology teacher, who told us not to use the eyewash station as a "wooder" fountain.

 
At 10:33 AM, May 16, 2011 , Blogger Betty said...

Well, technically, it's a "mid-atlanntic" accent. I can hear a difference between my own accent and someone from Philly proper, but apparently it's close enough to qualify as variants on the same thing, which is fair enough. And it did, in fact, pin me down to within a few miles, so I'm impressed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home