Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, December 05, 2011

a.k.a. Clean-Out-Your-Freezer Soup

Thing One offered me her turkey carcass to make soup after Thanksgiving. My cupboard isn't full of spices and seasonings, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I had the turkey skeleton (with enough meat still attached to make it worthwhile). Oh, hey, there's that leftover barbecued pork. Just for fun, I'll add some kielbasa. Hmm, need filler... Look, I have some barley! (Mum uses barley when she makes soup.) I think I'll stick in some noodles, too. (Soup is more fun with noodles.) Now for spices... Salt and black pepper, naturally. (And who cares about measuring, anyway?) I don't remember why I bought that container of dried, minced onion, but I know onion is a common, soup ingredient. (That one I did measure, guessing how much water it would absorb.) This probably would be a good time to use that little package of red pepper flakes I must have gotten with a pizza some time ago but didn't ever throw out because it would be wasteful, even though I never use red pepper flakes. Finally, toss in that package of frozen veggies, since it has carrots in it, and carrots, too, are a common, soup ingredient.

The soup turned out pretty danged good! (I could taste the red pepper flakes.) For a soup without any fancy (or even pre-planned) ingredients, it's super-effing remarkable. I'm thinking of calling it International Soup or Multicultural Soup. Accidental Soup wouldn't be too far off, either.

1 Comments:

At 4:59 AM, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Betty said...

Accidental Soup might be a good name for a band.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home