Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

It's not wembling; it's rational comparison.

After I made the deposit on my apartment, I learned that I had an option of more than "like it or lump it".  One apartment was available on the second floor, and three on the first (or first and ground floors, if you're reading this in an English-speaking country).  I'm used to living on the second floor, so I don't hear squeaky floors or stomping feet above my head.  However, someone else had requested that apartment, pending approval of their application.  One plus of being on the ground floor will be that the place will be insulated by other units, so my heating and cooling bills might be a bit lower.

The second floor apartment faces west.  I liked that idea, so my houseplants would get sunlight, but then I probably would complain about too much heat in the summer.  The ground floor apartments face either north, south, or east.  I discarded the north-facing apartment because I'd get no sunlight whatsoever.  Thus, would I want east or southern sunlight?

I chose the south-facing apartment.  It turns out that it won't be too warm because, at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, the patio was already shaded by a Silver Maple that hadn't completely leafed out yet.  (Plus, if that tree ever has to come down, there's already a small Sugar Maple in the lawn due south of the apartment, which should provide backup shade in a few years.)  I should get enough diffused light for my plants yet reap the benefit of shade on my air conditioning bill in the summer.

I didn't take building color into account, but it was a wise choice, as the east-facing apartment looks out onto a crimson-painted building, and it would take some time to get used to.  (Still, I like it better than the yellowish complex across the street.)  The north and south facing apartments are in a gray-painted building (but, if you're inside it, does it matter what color the outside is?), and the west-facing one is in a beige building.

The pictures above were taken by the apartment company.  Once I move in, I'll take some of my own.  For instance, it'll be interesting to see how I can decorate around the mirror wall in the dining area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home