Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Stymied

I did a little more unpacking today.  I put my dishes, silverware, and pans in the dishwasher, but do you think I could find my utensil tray for the drawer?  Of course not, even when I opened all the boxes I thought it might be in.  That leaves only the "fragile" boxes, which doesn't make sense.  Would I have stuffed that on top of one of them?  Will this be the one item in every move which disappears, even though I did all the packing and schlepping myself?  Oh dear, would I have slid it into one of the large, picture boxes?  (Did I put anything besides pictures in them?)

I held off on unpacking and shelving my books because I figured my kitchenware and clothing was more important.  I can't put away all my clothes, though, until I assemble my bed so the drawers will fit underneath it.  I can't assemble my bed, though, since I was a dolt and left my toolkit back in ABQ.  Of course, I could borrow some tools, or I could wait until I visit my mom for Memorial Day weekend.  "But, Cap'n," you say, "it would be foolish to keep paying for the hotel and the apartment."  True, which is why I probably will be sleeping on the mattress on the floor, for the time being.  (I just can't figure out if I should also borrow someone's drill, to put up some hooks in the closet, or get one of my dad's when I go back home.)

I did indulge myself this morning and buy potting medium and flowers for my pots and a couple of weedy areas along my patio.  (I don't recall if the lease has a provision against planting, but surely they won't object to a few flowers.)  I planted the pots but decided to leave the ground flowers until tomorrow.  (I didn't want to have too much fun today.)  Plus, I needed to unpack my trowel before I can do any digging.  (I found it, but still no cutlery tray.)

I finally gave up and unpacked my books (after polishing my bookcase and setting the doors back on).  Those boxes were easy to identify, uniformly sized, and uniformly packed.  (I know books come in lots of different sizes, but I was darn good at packing them anyway.)  It might not have been an urgent or even useful task, but it allowed me to feel good about accomplishing something and about emptying more boxes than I had the rest of the day.

I went to a different grocery store today and noticed a Chinese restaurant across the street.  It was the first in town I've seen that didn't have the word "buffet" in the name nor on a sign blazoned across the roof.  Alas, when I looked them up online, the URL contains the word "buffet", so there's another opportunity down the drain.  Besides, haven't I eaten out too much for my own good already this week?

Apparently not, since a restaurant called Steak Stuffers is in the same plaza as the supermarket.  Seriously, these people need to give me a raise, so I can afford to try all these new (to me) restaurants.

Oh yeah, one more stymie:  I finally opened the box of tumblers I bought in the Noog because I figured it would be good to run them through the washing machine before using them.  (Don't worry; the box said dishwasher-safe on the top rack.)  However, the one I put in the top rack was too tall for the washer (the rack wouldn't slide back)!  It looks like a whole lot more handwashing for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home