Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, May 13, 2013

Two Steps Forward, One Step Sideways

The cleaning of the apartment and the cleaning of the cabinets each took far less time than I anticipated (I could've done them both in one go and saved myself all of Sunday for goofing off), so I figured that putting in the shelf paper would make up for that.  It turns out I was wrong there, as well.  Not only did it take less time than anticipated, but I conveniently had just enough shelf paper on the roll I bought.

I bought a second plug-in air freshener this evening.  The first one is working well at eliminating (not just conflicting with) the stale cigarette smell in the living room and dining area off the kitchen, but I think the little hall and doorways (even though the doors are open) are hindering any effect in the bedroom and walk-in closet.  Plus, I wanted some of those air freshening "beads" for the bathroom, but they're on backorder.  Oh, well.  I think the bathroom can wait, especially since I want them to repair the ceiling over the showerhead before I officially occupy the place.  (I did report that to the office this afternoon.)

On my way to the maul for the air freshener, I saw a sign for this restaurant and decided to treat myself to dinner there, since my move-in process (other than the POD delivery) is going more quickly than I anticipated.  Alas, they are open for dinner only on Friday's and Saturday's, so I resigned myself to returning to the hotel for a microwave burrito.  Then I saw a sign for this place and hit my brakes for a last-minute turn into the parking lot.  There are lots of options on the menu (and, unlike most pizza places in the "I wish people in this part of the country knew what real pizza is" parts of the country, they offer meatballs as a topping, and, unlike most restaurants that have nothing but a brownie/ice cream or chocolate chip cooky/ice cream sundae for dessert, this one offers lemonade icebox pie -- not as good as my homemade, though), and, oddly enough, many of them appealed to me.  That in itself would be a reason to return, but combine all those pluses with good atmosphere and a pleasant dining companion (a good book), it's definitely a winner for me.

When I returned to the hotel, I saw that I had missed three calls and two voice mails, within an hour, from a toll-free number, because I had to leave my phone on the charger.  The voice mails (identical) were truncated, since the robocalls don't take voice mailboxes into account, but I think they might've been about my POD delivery.  (The messages invited me to "press 3" to repeat the message, but that would've made my voice mailbox do something I probably wouldn't want it to do, so I couldn't.)

I intend to call the company's toll-free number in the morning to determine if they had tried calling me about the delivery and to ask if I have to be on hand when the POD is delivered.  (If so, I'll ask if they can return later in the day, when I'm off work, and then argue with them when they try to charge me a rescheduling fee, which most definitely isn't my fault since they didn't give me 24-hour notice before delivery, and especially since the delivery is three days later than they first promised, which not only made me reschedule all my move-in and unloading plans but lost me every single day of rain-free weather to do it in.)  But, you know my luck, the driver probably will call me and say, "I'm here.  Where are you?" before I have a chance to call the toll-free number.  And, since you really know my luck, things always get screwy at work when there's something I must absotively posilutely do at a certain time, you also know that I won't get the chance to call before the driver does.

At least I recharged my phone tonight, so I'll have the chance of calling without the battery giving out.

Oh, yeah.  I almost forgot.  I intended to call the utilities for my Las Cruces condo during my lunch break, and give them my new address for the monthly bills.  I made one call (to the long distance telephone service provider) and couldn't make any others, since I was on hold for ten minutes as some computer glitch (See?!) delayed the confirmation of my request.  (I was forced to listen to Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" one and a half times, which, even for a classical music fan like me, is enough to make me question if I like that piece any more.  At least it wasn't Elgar's "Pomp and Circumstance March #1" or Pachelbel's "Canon in D", both of which already drive me spare.)

If hold music is going to be classical, why not let it be something interesting, like this?



Or even this?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home