Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Another Little Jab from the Universe

It turns out that the envelope I got the other day was not my final paycheck.  It was the company letter acknowledging my separation.  It contained an "invitation" to go online and complete an exit survey, but I probably won't.  They promise anonymity, but if they ask what job I left, they'll know who I am, because no one else in the company in Tulsa left at the same time.

I had enough in my Tulsa checking account to pay my December rent, so I'll have roof over my head as I pack.  I just hope I can squeeze money from somewhere to pay my utility bills, or it will be mighty cold.

Today's mail brought a surprise:  my long-delayed (and forgotten) tax refund from the state.  Great, I'll be able to pay my bills!  Or not.  You see, it wasn't a check.  It's something called a "Debit Mastercard Way2Go Card".  Whatever it is, it won't help me.  I need money to put into my checking account to pay bills, not a piece of plastic that I need to call a toll-free number about, then deal with people who don't speak the same language trying to explain how this thing is "better" than a check and, basically, talking their way around actually helping me figure out how to get the money in a form I recognize and can use.  It's like biting into a piece of chocolate candy and discovering hot pepper inside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home