Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Sunday, November 02, 2014

Weekend Splurge

It was 39 degrees when I ventured outside yesterday morning.  All the weather websites said it was 29 or 30 when I woke up.  However, my flowers outside weren't frozen, merely chilled.  I think it's because the patio retained solar heat and created a warm microclimate.  I have my flowers to enjoy for another week or more.
The results of my unnecessary spending are as follows.

Halloween candy - at usual grocery store, discount store, and drugstore
Boo Berry - at name brand grocery store
Flu shot - at drugstore
Chinese food - substituted Thai
Books - at the smaul's used bookstore

All the Halloween candy I got was different types or mixtures.  There were some I left on the shelf because the mixes included candies I don't like or because they were brands from a chocolate company other than the one in which I own stock.  (Now where do I have cupboard space for all that candy?)

My regular grocery store was sold out of Boo Berry already.  (Boo-hoo!)  I bought some at the name-brand grocery store.  (Now where do I have cupboard space for five boxes of cereal?)

There was no problem with my flu shot, other than being the only customer there and still having to wait.

When I pulled up to my Chinese restaurant, I discovered that they were closed.  Arrgh!  They had been closed for three weeks and won't reopen until tomorrow.  What to eat instead (since I hadn't defrosted any leftovers)?  Pizza?  No, this is supposed to be a treat out, not carry-out.  Italian?  No, I don't want to tempt fate by going to the same place as last time, the same place that also was closed for several weeks when I really wanted to eat there.  Instead, I went to a Thai restaurant a friend had introduced me to.  It definitely counted as a treat because the prices are so high!  And, lest you think I fully enjoyed my experience, there was some sort of mix-up with my order, because the waitress noticed she had served all her customers seated after me, while I was still reading my book and drinking my water.

The bookstore was a fluke.  I knew I had to go to a "big box" store today to get my monthly phone card, so why not also walk to the smaul, to see if the new colors of my dinnerware would fit into my color scheme.  And, since a used bookstore is also at the smaul, and since I have a little money left over from last weekend's thrift shopping, I might as well see what's on their discount shelves.

The results of that?  Yes, the two, new colors of dinnerware would be suitable.  Now I just have to hope they go on sale or I find a coupon or something.  At the bookstore, I found just one discounted book I wanted, but, alas, five other books at the regular price.  However, my Weather Wizardry (disorganized as it is) revealed that the store was having a 50% off sale!  (Whew!)  Finally, yes, I got my phone card.

All right.  I'm not allowed to spend any more money this month.  (What do you mean it's only the 2nd?)  Instead, have a gander at the scrap owl I've had for a few years.  I'll just enjoy that, rather than shopping for others.

3 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, November 03, 2014 , Blogger Betty said...

That owl is amazing!

And I went to the grocery store the day after Halloween, only to discover that they no longer had any Boo Berry. Although, boy, if I wanted something Christmassy, I would have been in luck. Sigh.

 
At 4:51 PM, November 03, 2014 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

One restaurant I drove by today had its windows painted for Christmas already.

I just realized that the book I was reading in the restaurant is called How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found. I wonder if that had anything to do with my order being delayed. Maybe they thought I wasn't there!

 
At 4:58 PM, November 03, 2014 , Blogger Betty said...

Man, maybe I should borrow that book! Disappearing completely and never being found is sounding pretty good to me right now. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home