Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Sunday, November 16, 2014

In Which the Guy without a Job Plays with Money

I got to thinking that I'll need to do something about my 401(k).  I'll probably transfer it into my IRA next year.  In case I can't just keep the mutual funds I have (or maybe I want to change some of the funds), I checked out my IRA holder's offerings.  I ended up spending much of today compiling data about these alternative investments.

Besides, if I don't find a job and move in with my mom, I won't have internet access except at the library, so I won't be able to spend hours online.  Thus, I figured I just had to look at all this today, rather than packing.  (I'm nearly out of boxes, anyway.)  Plus, it's easier and quicker to enter data immediately into my spreadsheet, rather than save it to a memory stick, bring it home from the library, and transfer it into my computer at home.

Since I was online, I also looked up mutual funds available from two other investment companies (one because its late founder was a periodic guest on Wall Street Week and I trusted his ideas and judgment, and one because it looks for more socially responsible holdings).

The one whose founder I trusted has a link on its homepage for people who already have 401(k)'s brokered by that company.  Gee, I wonder if my 401(k) holder has a similar feature.  I haven't even thought of looking up their website.  (I could probably get answers about transferring my funds there, rather than making a phone call.)

Guess what I'll be doing again tomorrow, instead of packing...

By the way, it snowed a little today -- just a dusting, so you still can see the grass and shrubs, and it didn't stick to the pavement.  It's supposed to warm up later this week.  We darn well better not get any more snow before I go home for Thanksgiving!  Oh well, at least my travel dates are extremely flexible this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home