Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, August 17, 2007

Is It I, Lord?

I'm fairly certain it isn't -- at least as far as Ms. Communication goes.

Sub told me this morning that he was expecting a visitor to play golf at 9:00. A man came in at 7:53 and said he had an 8:00 appointment with Boss. I notified Boss; he arrived, and the two of them disappeared. It wasn't until our admin. asst. arrived that I found out that the man who showed up and the golfer were the same person, that he was an employee of our company, and that both Boss and Sub were to golf with him. Boss later phoned and told me I had to take his place at the quarterly meeting given by our Senior Vice-president because he and Sub would be busy at "union training".

Worker Bee asked me to type a maintenance log for our new utility vehicles this morning. No, it wasn't a maintenance log, it was a preventive maintenance checklist. No, it wasn't a preventive maintenance checklist, it was an equipment orientation checklist. His repeated use of the word "course" confused me. No, it wasn't just an orientation, it was also a certification of the "obstacle course" driving test, so I needed to put "pass/fail" for each of the preventive maintenance and equipment and safety and certification items. Oh, wait. Why not just type up what's on page 68 of the operator's manual? By the time I straightened all this out, Worker Bee could have typed it himself.

Am I wrong to expect managers with college degrees to be able to express themselves clearly? Am I wrong to listen to the words that pass the managers' lips, rather than burrow into their brains to find out what they are actually thinking? Perhaps I'm spoiled by my brilliant co-bloggers' comments, such that I expect the same from my coworkers. (But don't dumb yourselves down on their behalf.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home