Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, August 08, 2008

A Real Pain in the Neck

Some of our employees, the seasonal ones more than the permanent ones, have visible tattoos. I mean, their tattoos are visible outside of normal clothing. (If they have tattoos I can't see, I'd rather not know about them, thank you very much!)

One guy has flames stretching from his wrists to his elbows, and a woman's name (in cursive script) on the left side of his neck. Ouch!

I once asked a friend with tattoos (ones visible only when he takes off his T-shirt) if it hurts more to get a tattoo on soft tissue, such as the side of one's neck. He said that soft tissue and muscle are more pliable, so they actually hurt less than when a tattoo is applied over a bone (such as on the shoulder). Either way, I'm not about to find out for myself.

Naturally, I wondered about the woman whose name is forever on this man's neck. If she's his mother, sister, or daughter, that seems an okay reason to have a tattoo of her name. If she's his wife or girlfriend (or mother of his child), I hope they never split up, or he's likely to regret getting the tattoo. Maybe the woman or girl is dead, and the tattoo is a permanent reminder of her. And that's why I'm afraid to ask him; I don't want to risk dredging up bad feelings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home