Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A: Things that Have Yellow Backgrounds and Black Printing

Q: What is the latest category in The $10,000 Pyramid, Alex?

1) The dining hall was closed yesterday, so Froggy insisted we eat lunch at a local Waffle House. Be warned: don't eat there if you want haute cuisine. Both Skippy and Froggy ordered their hash browns "double smothered, double covered". Loosely translated, "smothered" means with onions mixed in, and "covered" came with a slice of processed cheese in the center of the hash browns, but not extending to the edge. (Obviously, this restaurant chain uses a different dictionary than I do.) The food was all right (I had a BLT and hash browns -- note: your order either comes with hash browns or nothing), but I certainly will never experience a craving for it. (We're tossing around various Chinese restaurants for today's lunch.)

2) As part of an e-mail conversation with Betty, I decided to look up bookstores in the local phone book. The first thing I noticed was a page heading "Bicycles-Blood". Now doesn't that help me feel better about being an inexperienced bike rider?

As far as "Book Dealers Used & Rare", there are two I already know about, two not listed which I know about, one I won't go to unless you send me on a quest for an out-of-print Christian book, one I won't be able to visit because it's open only during typical, weekday work hours, and two others. I need to go to Grumpy's just because of the name. I won't bother with H and M because it sells college textbooks. (I wouldn't bother with a bookstore called "S and M" either, but for an entirely different reason.)

3) I recently went miniature golfing at Sir Goony's. It was very dull: only one or two moving obstacles on each of the two, 18-hole courses. (Plus, the sun-faded decorations hadn't been painted in the past few years, either.) They charge an exorbitant $7.25 for one round and $8.00 for two. Or, you can be like me and use a coupon and play both rounds anyway because the 18th hole doesn't eat your ball. You have to go to a separate area (which does eat your ball) to try for a free game. Maybe the high price is to replace the number of golf balls they must lose to customers each year. Even I was tempted to "liberate" one because there are so many colors from which to choose. I selected pink because I'd never seen a pink golf ball before. (If I go back, I want purple.) My golfing partner chose sky blue -- and I was a good boy and didn't make any jokes about his blue ball.

Common theme:
1) Restaurant sign
2) Yellow pages
3) Score card

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home